Our mission is to surround students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life.
Overview of Position
Communities In Schools of Whatcom-Skagit and Vista Middle School, in the Ferndale School District, are seeking a dynamic leader with exceptional initiative, the passion to build powerful relationships with youth and families, and the ability to steer the delivery of multiple projects and services at Vista Middle School.
Location: Vista Middle School
Reports to: CIS of Whatcom-Skagit Leadership (Executive Director & Program Manager) and School Principal
Hours: 40 Hours/week; 10.5 months/yr (six weeks off in the summer). Up to two (optional) weeks off over school breaks. Occasional evening work included.
Wage: $16.50-$19 hourly (non-exempt); DOE
Benefits: Health Stipend ($250.00 monthly)/Vacation & Sick Time/Holidays
Supervision: This position does not supervise other CIS or Vista Middle School staff
The Site Coordinator (SC) works in partnership with school staff to identify students in need of additional support and helps link them to the resources necessary to improve academics and attendance, and increase positive behavior. Through individual and group activities, the SC supports students’ whole self, determining individual supports that will meet the needs of each unique student. The SC facilitates and/or provides confidential, developmentally appropriate, and culturally sensitive interventions, services and supports to students and families. The SC also works in partnership with the community and other agencies to assure additional resources are available for families.
· Coordinate implementation of the annual site plan, needs assessment, program implementation, data tracking, and evaluation/reporting.
· Secure community support and partners to meet school and students’ needs.
· Provide and/or coordinate individual and group intervention for identified students, including a caseload referred by school staff of at least 45 students.
· Provide school-wide activities during the school year, in collaboration with other partners.
· Provide support to parents/families of caseload students.
· Participate in school orientations, open houses, and parent events that support identified students and families.
· Promote cultural diversity and inclusion for ALL students and families, with special emphasis on activities that promote belonging, cross-cultural interfacing, and overlapping goals and aspirations among students and their families.
Evaluation and Documentation
· Document progress and track student and family outcomes.
· Produce CIS monthly, quarterly, and annual reports.
· Provide regular program information and accomplishments to the Executive Director and District personnel.
· Consult with school administrators, parents, and staff about students.
· Participate in interdisciplinary meetings with school staff, the CIS team, and other resource agencies.
· Reach out and develop partnerships with other agency service providers.
· Represent CIS at events and meetings.
· Knowledge of local Whatcom County and Ferndale resources.
· Demonstrated experience working with youth; knowledge of and passion for youth development. This can be demonstrated through work experience, volunteer experience, and/or formalized education.
· Candidates with H.S. Education and/or higher welcome to apply.
· Strong youth engagement and relationship-building skills.
· Strong initiative; self-motivated, with the ability to work well under minimal supervision.
· Commitment to social justice, promoting diversity and inclusion for ALL students and families regardless of race, color, national origin, gender/sexual orientation, religion, or disability.
· Strong organizational skills. Ability to balance multiple projects simultaneously, and coordinate individualized support for a caseload of 45 students.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills. Confidence in initiating communication (via phone, email, and in person) with school staff, parents, and community organizations.
· Flexibility, collaborative spirit. Ability to work cooperatively as a team member with school teachers and staff.
· Strong computer skills and working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
· Ability to lift 25lbs on an occasional basis.
Communities In Schools of Whatcom-Skagit is an equal opportunity employer. No applicant will be discriminated against because of race, color, national origin, age, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, veteran’s status, familial status, disability, or religion.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required, and the scope of responsibility; however, they should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods, or to otherwise balance the workload. Work can involve extensive times sitting at a desk and working with a computer, monitor, keyboard and mouse. The successful applicant must also have a valid driver’s license and pass required background checks. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job may change.
How to Apply
Please send resume, cover letter, and three references addressed to: Ario Salazar, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications accepted until the position is filled.