AmeriCorps Site Coordinator for the 2019-20 Academic Year
Communities in Schools of Whatcom-Skagit
SCHOOLS CAN’T DO IT ALONE – YOU CAN HELP!!
In Washington 1 in 5 high school students do not graduate on time. Help make a difference in a young person’s life while developing professional skills and making an impact through national service.
Communities In Schools of Washington (CIS) has an exciting AmeriCorps opportunity for individuals committed to improving the lives of children in Bellingham and Mount Vernon.
AmeriCorps members will serve alongside CIS staff supporting struggling students in elementary, middle, and high schools. AmeriCorps members will work to realize the CIS mission of empowering students to succeed in both school and life through surrounding them with a community of support. Their duties will include coordinating activities to address the academic, behavioral, and social/emotional needs of students who are at risk of dropping out of school.
These supports include:
- Whole school supports: Widely available services designed to foster a positive school climate and address school-level risk factors.
- Targeted supports: Targeted services typically provided in a group setting to students with a common need.
- Individualized Supports: Intensive, individualized services typically provided in a one-on-one setting to students with highly specific needs.
- Taxable living allowance of $13,750.00.
- At the completion of service, members receive a $5920.00 education award that can be used toward qualified educational expenses for up to seven (7) years.
- Members are eligible for health and child care benefits (child care benefits subject to income guidelines).
Members generally serve 10 months & 1700 hours with terms of service starting approximately August and ending in June.
How to Apply
The application cycle for the 2019-20 school year will open up in late April 2019. You can also reach out to Ario Salazar (Executive Director, email@example.com) and Becky Hurst (Program Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org) with emails of interest at any time, even if the application cycle has not yet started.